You may be surprised to find that adopting a pet is a more involved process than you'd imagined. Our intent is not to frustrate you. Rather, everything we do is in the best interest of the pets in our care. Our goal is to give them the best possible chance of finding a permanent, safe and loving home that meets their individual needs, and to help you to find your perfect match. Our adoption policies are based on our experience and the experience of many other pet adoption organizations.
1. Before meeting our pets, you will be asked to fill out an application. We encourage you to fill out an on-line adoption application and submit it before you come to see us so that we can visit with you by phone and process your application more quickly.
2. The questions we ask enable us to better assist you with matching your needs and desires in a pet with the needs of our available pets. Our process includes questions about your living situation, pet history, current pets, the type of pet you are looking for, and the way in which it will be cared for. We're not just being nosy! Some of our dogs and cats would be good with kids, or get along with other pets, or appropriate for first-time pet owners. We also have pets with special needs, or behavioral problems, or who would be more appropriate for an experienced pet owner.
3. An adoption counselor will go over your completed application with you, and then introduce you to our available pets if your application complies with our policies. The counselor will fill you in on the history and needs of the pet(s) you are interested in, answer any questions you may have, and help you to find a good match. We have get-acquainted rooms and outside fenced areas where you can visit and play with the dogs you are interested in. Most of our cats roam free in our cat rooms, which is a great environment for you to get to know them and their personalities.
4. If you decide you'd like to adopt one of our pets, we reserve the pet for you but we generally don't send the pet home with you that day (in some circumstances exceptions may be made by sending in an application and visiting on the phone with an adoption counselor prior to your visit). We want to give you some time to think about it-- it's a big commitment. This also gives us time to spay or neuter, do a yard-check, etc. You can generally pick up your pet the following day or arrange for another day that would be convenient for you and gives us enough time to complete any requirements. When you pick up your pet you will be asked to fill out an adoption contract and pay the adoption fee.
5. Once you adopt a pet from us, we encourage you to keep in touch! Please call us for advice if you are having any problems or have questions. Many times a small problem can be fixed before it becomes a bigger problem. And we love to get emails, letters and photos from people who have adopted a pet from us. We post the photos we receive on our web site's Happy Tails page and on our bulletin boards at the shelter. We also host an annual reunion for adopted pets and their people in October.
If you have questions about our adoption process, please send us an email or call 913-596-1000 ext. 113.